MS45 Doubled MAF Sensor Range

OBD2 tunes that have been modified
Renovelo
Site Admin

MS45 Doubled MAF Sensor Range

Post by Renovelo »

We're proud to announce the first publicly available tune to double the MAF sensor range for the MS45 community! We've spent a little time analyzing the disassembly in IDA Pro and came up with a couple of proposals for this firmware hack. The first idea ended up working exactly as expected! A huge thanks goes to forum member snelan who was the first to beta test this for us on his supercharged MS45.1 project!

Now, onto the important details! When applying this hack, we modify the program portion of the binary which usually isn't touched during the tuning process. In doing this, it's necessary to perform a "full" flash which takes a significant amount of time for MS45.x (even when using fast baud rate). Therefore, please make sure both your laptop and vehicle battery are connected to chargers during the flashing process. Also make sure your headlights are turned off and your engine fan is unplugged (some vehicles turn on the fan even if the engine is not running). If your battery voltage gets too low or if your laptop turns off in the middle of the flashing process, you risk putting your DME into a state where it cannot respond appropriately to ByteTuner. It's almost impossible to "brick" these DMEs regardless of what some people online say. However, it's easy to corrupt it such that ByteTuner cannot communicate with it if the flashing process is disturbed. If this happens, you'll have to ship your DME to someone who can recover it using other tools. We have this capability, but it's not free.

The second import thing to keep in mind about this firmware hack is what we didn't change in the tune. The main things we changed in the tunes below are the actual firmware hack and scaling the original MAF sensor curve by 0.5. There are several other parameters which reference the MAF sensor, either as parameters themselves or as the axes of other maps. We did not touch the scaling of these at all! Forum user snelan did a good bit of driving and logging while he was testing this tune. He didn't notice any strange behaviors during all of his testing. However, keep in mind that some of these parameters are not always active. Some of these parameters could become active only during certain situations (such as during limp mode). We've attached a spreadsheet below showing all of the other parameters that reference anything which has units of kg/h. Some of these parameters reference the MAF sensor and some reference other things such as secondary air flow. We will let you judge what is important and what isn't. Please review this document and make your own judgements of what might be important. Also, use good judgement when applying this tune and when testing/logging. If you discover something that should also be scaled by 0.5, please let us know ASAP and we can make changes to the tunes below.

For now, we've only applied this hack to the most popular stock tunes that we include with ByteTuner. If you need a different ZB/HW/SW variant that is not below, please let us know. You will need to give us the ZB number or the HW + SW numbers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Re: MS45 Doubled MAF Sensor Range

Post by Renovelo »

Reserved for future post...
SakhrHendawi

Post by SakhrHendawi »

Is the hack something that I can apply my self or I have to submit my base tune to apply it?
And is it possible to apply the hack to my current modified tune?

My DME Info:
MS45.1 E46 330 US
HW:7561382
ZB:7561514
SW:7561515
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Here's your modified tune with the hack applied.
josh@severntuning

Post by josh@severntuning »

Here's the base MS45.0 file with the Audi RS4 MAF values filled in. I pulled the RS4 values from a WinOLS file and used linear interpolation to find the mass flow (kg/hr) for the MS45.0 break points (voltage).
Caleb

Post by Caleb »

It says I do not have permission to view attachments, But I got an RS4 MAF and wired it all in, now I'm kind of stumped on what to do as far as what to change in values and where to change it.

MS45.1
"If you ain't first, you're last."
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

You should be able to see attachments now that you’ve made a post.

If you’re wanting to swap a RS4 MAF, you’ll need to first use any of these base tunes that have had the MAF hack applied to them. All of the ones we posted are 100% bone stock otherwise. So then you’ll have to modify the MAF curve with the appropriate curve for your sensor. If you’re tuning a Z4, you can probably use Josh’s file as a starting point. You can also probably use his file to pull the RS4 MAF curve and apply it to a MS45.1 tune.
andrew.cheney

Post by andrew.cheney »

Is this able to be done with a 325i?
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Of course! Just let us know what ZB/HW/SW combination you need and we'll build it.
andrew.cheney

Post by andrew.cheney »

ZB: 7561526
SW: 7561527
HW: 7561382
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

We attached it to the first post. As always, it's recommended to start with the stock MAF just to make sure everything with the hack is working as expected before swapping to a larger MAF.
BoostedE60

Post by BoostedE60 »

Any way you could hook me up with a e60 m54 ms45.1 file

Tryna finally finish this tune on my e60 big turbo build
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

BoostedE60 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:43 am Any way you could hook me up with a e60 m54 ms45.1 file

Tryna finally finish this tune on my e60 big turbo build
Do you have a 530i or 525i?
DrexelLake

Post by DrexelLake »

What is the benefit of doing this hack performance wise?
2005 BMW 330ci with VF Engineering supercharger kit and headers. 66k miles.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

DrexelLake wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:52 am What is the benefit of doing this hack performance wise?
If your engine is naturally aspirated, there is zero performance gain. This modification enables a MAF sensor to measure more incoming airflow than the 1024kg/hr limit which the stock firmware has. This would only be applicable in forced induction applications.
BoostedE60

Post by BoostedE60 »

Ms45.1 m54b30 e60 2004 530i
SakhrHendawi

Post by SakhrHendawi »

BoostedE60 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:06 am Ms45.1 m54b30 e60 2004 530i
I suggest you to use ByteTuner to download your stock tune, then upload it here so the Renovelo team can apply the hack to it
BoostedE60

Post by BoostedE60 »

It’s on there tunes they provide
BoostedE60

Post by BoostedE60 »

i added my tune for the hack
BoostedE60

Post by BoostedE60 »

my base tune my bad