E46 330i supercharger ICV delete?

Get detailed info on tuning your OBD2 DME
agueritz

E46 330i supercharger ICV delete?

Post by agueritz »

We are getting frequent P1500 codes with our E46 330i supercharger installation. Having checked / changed just about everything including a new ICV, I am considering applying the ICV delete that is described on MS4xx.net here
https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Si ... lve_Delete
It says that because this mod changes a monitoring table the addition checksum needs to be updated.
So question is: does Bytetuner recalculate the related addition checksum automatically or do we have to do a hexedit for that?
Renovelo
Site Admin

Re: E46 330i supercharger ICV delete?

Post by Renovelo »

I'm assuming you're referring to MS43 since you linked to that page. No, we only correct the checksums for the bootloader, program and data areas. Why not disable the additive checksum by changing lc_swi_cal_mon_cks as the wiki suggests? This parameter is defined in ByteTuner.
agueritz

Post by agueritz »

Yes, it is the Ms43.
Started to work on the changes for the ICV delete shown on the MSxx wiki page. However I couldn't find a few of the variables needed in the Bytetuner base tune file for the 330i (ignoring the appended text from the double underscore in some of the names)
So the missing variables seem to be
c_abc_inc_isa_1 (single value)
c_abc_inc_isa_2 (single value)
ip_tps_sp_pvs (12x12)
ip_isapwm_pvs (12x12)

So wondering how I can configure those?

Thanks
A

PS...

The purpose of the ICV delete is to stop the persistent P1500 codes we are getting. If I could suppress the Dtc as also described in the wiki then that might be simpler.
Except the variable "c_dtc_mec_isa" does not exist. There are four "c_dtc_mec_isa_N" variables but changing those does not suppress the DTC
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Both ip_tps_sp_pvs and ip_isapwm_pvs are defined in ByteTuner. Just use the search toolbar to find them. One is categorized and the other is not. I'm not sure how the "inc" parameters did not get included, but I'll email you a new map pack.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Can you give us the BMW DTC code in hexadecimal? Just press the "Read DTCs" button in ByteTuner and it will list everything using BMW's nomenclature. Using this, we can dig through the disassembly to ensure you're changing the correct parameter to bypass this DTC.
agueritz

Post by agueritz »

Thanks, it is 211 decimal which is D3

And, aha, I got stuck on the two tables because something else came up first in the search. just discovered how the search nox works for multiple matches
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

On further inspection, I now realize why we didn't include the "inc" parameters. When we first launched support for MS43 a few years ago, we realized all of these were incorrectly addressed. We went back and manually extracted the correct addresses from the disassembly and created new "DTC_0x??" parameters which you can find in the "DTCs" folder. They're titled based on BMW's hex nomenclature. For example, if you're trying to suppress 0x1B and 0x35 (both idle coil DTCs), just search for "DTC_0x1B" and "DTC_0x35" in the DTCs folder. Although they don't have "inc" in the title, these are truly the "inc" parameters that we've simply renamed. Disregard the map pack we sent you via email. The original map pack included with ByteTuner is correct, but we've renamed the parameters to "DTC_0x??".
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

I don't think there is an easy way to bypass 0xD3. This particular DTC (like a few others) does not have any "inc" or "max" parameters associated with it in the disassembly.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Going back to your original post, there shouldn't be a need to delete the idle control valve...ever. Have you tried using the MS43 supercharger tune we've included on our forum here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165
agueritz

Post by agueritz »

We have already have a similar tune to your example which was set up on a dyno and I couldn't obviously see any other params outside teh basic fueling changed that would be related to the ICV code.
However the car is thrown the D3 code frequently even with that (also pings a DSC 5E19 code so we get the trifecta lights EML/DSC/BRAKE).

We have done more or less everything with the air/throttle system to fix the code (renovated the intake, new ICV, new throttle body, tested different MAF & DISA, checked the wiring loom and connectors) so I am looking for any way to make the DME forget about the ICV and stop coding. It's a track day car so not worried about low end driveability.

To make the ICV delete work, I'd need to know which DTC params match the two missing "_inc_" params I listed below, so maybe you can let me know what they are?
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Did you not find the two parameters called "DTC_0x1B" and "DTC_0x35"? These correspond to c_abc_inc_isa_1 and c_abc_inc_isa_2.
agueritz

Post by agueritz »

Aha, misconstrued your previous answer that those were the actual parameters to use rather than just examples of DTC_xx codes (the reference to "coils" threw me)
Will give them a go
Thanks
agueritz

Post by agueritz »

Update on progress..
I have modified the parameters according to the ICV Delete example on the MS4x.net wiki incclduing disabling the additioan checksum check (but not the CRC16) and loaded it into the DME
and...
the car now churns on the starter but does not fire and these three DTCs appear:

0x73: Throttle body position adaptation range check
V_TPS_1: 0.7995 V
V_TPS_2: 4.134 V
VB: 11.73 V
TIA: 17.7448 deg C

0x64: DME - Self test (Checksum or communication)
TCO: 17.25 deg C
VB: 11.73 V
Stg-Error Low-Byte: 0 dec
Stg-Error High-Byte: 16 dec

0x3F: Ambient temperature CAN signal
N_32: 0 rpm
TAM: 50 deg C
T_AST: 0 s
Engine operating condition: 1 -

Not sure which is those (if any) is preventing the engine from firing?

If I reload the old image, it fires up OK.
So I suppose, i CAN:
1. reset the adaptations?
2. disable the CRC16 checksum check entirely
The last one (0x3F) makes the least sense.

Any suggestions as to why the car won't fire otherwise?
agueritz

Post by agueritz »

except that I can't disable the checksum with ByteTuner as I need a hexeditor for that...
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

There is no need to disable any of the CRC16 checksums as ByteTuner automatically corrects all of these for you.

Which HW variant are you using? HW7545150 or HW7572342?
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Actually, I think I see the problem now. Since the additive checksums are within the CRC16 section, the CRC16 checksum is actually incorrect (since the additive checksums were not corrected). It's not possible to simply bypass the additive checksum without also bypassing the CRC16 checksums.

We've found the additive checksums and algorithms in the disassembly. We'll work on implementing this checksum into ByteTuner ASAP! Hopefully we can have something ready to release early in the week.
agueritz

Post by agueritz »

Thanks. I thought that might be the case when I was rereading the wiki. Looking forward to trying out a new version.

By the way, is it normal for the engine temperature gauge to swing to max when you start loading a full binary?
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Yes, for some reason all of the E46 gauge clusters behave this way when flashing the DME. This isn't unique to our software either...even dealer flashing software does this.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Can you email us your *.dme2 file? We can use it as another example to verify the checksum algorithm. Also, worst case scenario, we can manually correct the checksums for you until we implement this into ByteTuner.
agueritz

Post by agueritz »

The new version of Bytetuner loads up the modified map just fine with no checksum errors. The MS4X.net ICV delete seems to have removed the P1500 errors, but instead on the first test drive after about 2 miles we get a CEL with 160/161 (A0/A1) codes related to the throttle body. The car is then undriveable until the codes are reset. Seems to just go from one problem to another!
The throttle body is new as it was replaced during the stage we tried swapping all the various physical components to solve the original issue. We have not yet blanked off the ICV so that till need to be done.
Otherwise I suppose I might be unlucky to have a duff new part but any other suggestions would be very helpful