e36 325i stroker build

m50b32

e36 325i stroker build

Post by m50b32 »

Hey

I will post my build and tune. I'm from France and its my first engine build.
so i apologize if my english is not perfect. hope you will understand it.

The car is a e36 with m3 chassis reinforcement, x brace, steal brake lines, torsen diff 25%, big sway bars (eibach), m3 e36(euro) exhust system, koni sport suspension.

I installed a AEM failsafe wideband in my car for safety and tune.

I'm still running the stock engine: m50b25 vanos

I bought the same engine and i'am rebuilding it to these specs:

M54b30 crank, intake cam and rods
s50b30 exhaust cam
m3 3.2 (euro) injectors 24lb and valve springs (double springs)
JE forged pistons 86.5mm
cometic gasket
arp studs
rebuilt vanos
rebuilt oil pump with safety knutt
Achilles motorsport oil pan baffle
Riot racing throttle body
ported cylinder head
lightweight flywheel and stronger clutch
and some more

the engine will be 3.2 liter with CR 11.7:1
I will run it on pump gas first and then maybe upgrade to ethanol e85
I'm still rebuilding the engine, and hope to get it in my car this summer.
m50b32

Re: e36 325i stroker build

Post by m50b32 »

Some pics:
IMG_0223.jpg
IMG_0261.jpg
head.jpg
exhaust.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by m50b32 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

ported intake side, like golf ball for increased flow
intake.jpg
3.46 Torsen lsd build
torsen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by m50b32 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

For the tune i will proceed like this:

1. Install and tune the 24lb injectors on current stock engine.
2. Put this 24lb tune and 540i maf in the file of m50b30 m3 US (almost same cams as i have)
3. take off some degrees on advance, because increased CR
3. Start the engine and break it in with this tune
4. Dyno or street tune everything

I will post more as my project advances.
Greetings
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Welcome to the forums and wow, what a project! We will definitely be interested to see your progression on this in the coming months.

I know you've told me via email before, but remind me which DME you are currently running in your car. I assume it's a Bosch 413 DME. If so, does it have a red or silver label?
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

I have the silver label on the engine which is in the car right know.
And the red label on the engine i bought.

I have no EWS on both. I don't know which one i will use. I think i will take the harness and DME (silver) on my running engine.
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

So i finally got the time to put my new engine in! :D
Pics:
IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0471.jpg
IMG_0508.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

As i said before i did the 24lb injector tune on the old engine and run a weak with it.
Then i did the engine swap and i added the big maf file to my file and i took away 10-20 degrees of ignition on the maps.

The engine cranked up really good. It runs fine. I'm still breaking it in right know. I have some issues with sprocket noise on intake cam. i will upgrade it next week with the late style model ( it has a shime to reduce the play).

And i ordered a achilles motorsport oil pump to be safe. mine makes like 4 seconds to create oil pressure when starting the engine. It also could be because i added the euro oil intercooler. But i think with the new pump it will be better.

The engine feels great it has allready alot of torque, even if i run it with low ignition advance, i had to add some fuel, i think the VE is better with the 3.5" m3 intake and bored throttle body.

Hope to get it on the dyno soon for some numbers.

Greetings
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Thanks for updating us on your build! We're excited to hear that you've been able to use our base tunes to get started.

Yeah, we also noticed that our engine was running slightly lean at WOT after swapping 24lb injectors and the 3.5" MAF. We didn't spend much time fixing this since our end goal was F/I, 60lb injectors, and a blow-through MAF. We only verified these base tunes would work at a minimum level before releasing DTS to the market.

If you end up tweaking the fuel injector constant, make sure you rescale everything correctly. There are a lot of changes that are necessary when scaling for larger injectors as I'm sure you've noticed by now. Therefore, be sure you compare our base tune to the stock tune to capture everything.

Good luck with the rest of your build!
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

Yes i rescaled all the load related maps.
Everything works great. I just noticed that when engine is between cold and hot it needs some time to crank. The starter has to run longer. Don't know if its related to something!?

Otherwise the software is really great. I'm just curious to know how you tune the maps (fuel and timing) vanos advanced and vanos delayed. Do you shut vanos off by changing its values to tune one map and then turn it on to tun the other?

Thanks for all the infos related to the software. I will post more as my project advances.

Regards
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Which DME software version are you using? I assume it's 8715 if you're using the silver label 413 DME. We can generate a custom map pack for you which will include some of the cranking fuel tables. There is one which is defined by intake air temperature and another defined by coolant temperature which may help you.

Tuning the fuel/ignition tables for the VANOS conditions is very time consuming, but you have the correct idea. You have to force the DME into keeping the VANOS locked in either the delayed or advanced position. Refer to the VANOS control flowchart on the last page of the help documentation. Basically, you will be modifying the VANOS load and throttle tables to force the DME into keeping the VANOS constant.

From some old notes we have, here is what we did to keep the VANOS constant:

Always Advanced
- VANOS Advanced Load Min: low as possible
- VANOS Advanced Throttle Max: high as possible

Always Delayed
- VANOS Advanced Load Min: high as possible
- VANOS Delayed Load Max: high as possible

If you don't have an Ostrich emulator, it's somewhat difficult to know if you're doing it correctly since you won't be able to see which tables are active. One trick we've used is to tap into the VANOS solenoid wires with a resistor and LED. When we were developing DTS, we had a LED taped to the windshield to allow us to visually see when the VANOS was active.
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

Yes i have the 8751. It would be great if you could generate the custom map for me.

I use ostrich emulator for the tunes. So i can trace the cells and see in which map i'am.

Thanks for the help.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Perfect, we will generate a custom map pack and email it to you soon!
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

I'am going 6 speed on my e36.

Here's the list for those who want to do this swap (i will post pics later)

ZF GS6-37BZ gearbox from e46 330i
e46 330i (lightweight)flywheel and clutch assembly
e46 330i slave cylinder
zionsville transmission mount
m3 e36 6 speed crossmember
e36 3.2 m3 euro 6 speed transmission shaft
I had to change the diff pinion to driveshaft flange to the 6 bolt flange.

I do this because i have a 3.46 Torsen diff. Its short and on highway it revs too high when cruising. the gearbox is also stronger (ZF) to hold the power of the new engine with same gear ratios and overdrive (6 gear) of 0.8
Last edited by m50b32 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

The 6 speed is installed and its a great upgrade.

I feel that it makes the front of the car a bit heavyer but i have to corner balance the car anyway. So i will see how i can adjust the wheight.
I installed the 6 speed short shifter.

My next step will be a calibration of the maf sensor because i changed my intake after the MAF.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Awesome! We might have to consider this in the future for our E36 shop car. Now that it has a turbo, it's got a ton of torque and a 6th gear would be nice for highway cruising.

Keep up the good work! We're looking forward to more updates!
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

Some news:

I went to the dyno last sunday.
I put out 283 hp and 350nm of torque.

I'm really happy with these numbers even if i couldn't get through the ignition map as i wanted (it was a bad dyno, i couldn't keep it at a certain rpm and go through my maps increasing load.
My torque curve increases at 3500 rpm. i think its a bit late. i will try to find a better dyno in the future.

I will post the pic of the curve soon.
m50b32

Post by m50b32 »

20170205_114815.gif
Your software worked very well for the tuning. The cell tracing worked good too.
It was a bit better for the fuel tables than ignition. I had some error messages when hiting the cell tracing button, but after the message it worked a bit slow.

Thanks for the inputs and support. The vanos on/off worked as you described me.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Glad everything has been working out for you! If you could send us screenshots of the errors, we can look into fixing this.