EU E60 520i Turbo MS45

Any other vehicles not listed above
Juuso

EU E60 520i Turbo MS45

Post by Juuso »

Decision was between 545/550i or 520/525/530(m54) E60 and here in Finland wasn't any V8 manuals for sale and from there wasn't many manuals for sale in other europe countries for reasonable prices as we have high taxes for high displacement/power cars so I decided to build turbo setup for M54 powered manual version which was easy to buy from Finland. It didn't really matter to me if it was b22, b25 or b30 and I found reasonable 520i. This isn't my first car build or anything like that but other supercharged and turbochraged cars have been older and aftermarket dme builds. But that's maybe enough for that and now about the project itself.

The Car is 2004 EU E60 520i manual. I have modified K-line connection from OBD port to DME(from factory it has CAN connection from OBD to DME). First I had to test US Z4 2.5i DME tune because Bytetuner doesn't support E60 EU MS45 tune as it's totally different. Car started fine with US Z4 tune but soon there was problem with MAF readings because US MS45 2.5i had different MAF sensor which E60 MS45 uses in EU. This was easily solved when Jeff made Curve Comparison maps for me and after correct curve values car run very nicely without any issues. Next step was to change bigger MAF which will be needed further away in the project. I've already read about MS43 RS4 MAF conversions and decided to go with it also in this project.

It was hard to find Airflow/Voltage chart for RS4 maf but I founded one and car was running pretty nice with it, didn't really feel any changes in road test and this was point when I installed AFR meter to see what's really going on. In this point I also changed Bosch EV14 613CC injectors. After couple days I was able to get car to dyno to test it better with stock maf and RS4 maf differences and it showed me that just before redline stock maf reading was around 490kg/hr and with RS4 maf it was around 540kg/hr so chart which I found from internet wasn't perfect. But as I'm not able to test both mafs in flow bench same time I decided not to modify values by my self and proceed curve which I had.

Next step after N/A testing was mount my turbo setup and do couple remaining thing to it and I got it running week ago. I have drove one week with ~0.5bar and made rough tune which was safely rich. Yesterday I had time in dyno to test it better and do better tune for it but I faced issue with fueling which start from around 5500rpm. I have scaled fueling and inginition tables for bigger load values but issue seems to be just like when fuel capacity just ends/pressure drop. I attached fuel pressure meter to fuel rail and issue wasn't with the fuelpressure so in this point I was sure it's some table where calculation ends and that's why I'm not getting more fuel. But I couldn't find table which cause the problem and it was late evening so I decided to stop running it in dyno for the day.

I have heard and read topics here is couple guys which have made supercharger setups with MS45 so I think and hope to get help for my issues and we can learn more. My target is 1bar boost with stock engine this summer and I have plan to build engine next winter which is capable for bigger boost and high rpm. Also I wan't to thank Jeff for super customer service!

-Juuso
Renovelo
Site Admin

Re: EU E60 520i Turbo MS45

Post by Renovelo »

We've enjoyed hearing about your project via email! Do you have any pictures you can share here? We love to see our customers' projects!