Fatal Error When Opening Bytetuner

Report a bug with ByteTuner
Gildner7215

Fatal Error When Opening Bytetuner

Post by Gildner7215 »

Windows 8
MS45.1
Downloaded the software on 7/4/21 and everything went smooth. I was able to open program, base tunes, and even adjust base tunes. On 7/5/21 I attempted to reopen the program to continuously receive a new error in regard to failure to initialize and hexadecimal value having an incorrect character. Also, if i attempt to open any base tunes now it shows the same error and then proceeds to shut down the program. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated because I'm trying to get the car tuned within the next week or so. Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Re: Fatal Error When Opening Bytetuner

Post by Renovelo »

This particular error indicates that your user configuration file is corrupted. You can fix this problem by navigating to this directory: C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Local\Renovelo. If you can't see the AppData folder, you'll need to allow Windows to show hidden folders. Just search online for instructions on how to do this for your version of Windows.

Here you should see a folder which starts with "ByteTuner.exe" and then has a bunch of random characters following. Delete this entire folder which contains your user settings and then restart ByteTuner. Do not delete the folder which simply says "ByteTuner" as this is the directory where the background debug logs are stored.
Gildner7215

Post by Gildner7215 »

Thanks, I’ll try it out later on and update with results
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

We've seen this a handful of times and can only assume that this happens when ByteTuner wasn't shut down properly. Regardless of the reason, we just made modifications to ByteTuner to improve this problem. It now automatically detects a corrupted config file, alerts the user, deletes the config file, then shuts down ByteTuner. All the user has to do is restart ByteTuner and it will load the default config settings. This feature will be available in our next release of ByteTuner.
Gildner7215

Post by Gildner7215 »

Just tried it, and it worked perfectly. Appreciate it!