M50B30

Need help getting started with DTS?
Jakee36

M50B30

Post by Jakee36 »

I am working on an m50 stroker build and have yet to even think about tuning. I have no experience tuning and this software looks very appealing. Basically I want to know if my 413 silver label DME will work and how easy it will be to use a bosch 806 MAF?
Meilleur102

Re: M50B30

Post by Meilleur102 »

Jakee36 wrote:I am working on an m50 stroker build and have yet to even think about tuning. I have no experience tuning and this software looks very appealing. Basically I want to know if my 413 silver label DME will work and how easy it will be to use a bosch 806 MAF?
Hi Jakee!
For your first question yes the 413 silver label will work.
The 413 red label and silver are practically the same DME.

The major difference is the EWS (anti thieve system)

I have a confirmation from Jeff that he can provide a EWS delete (if your swapping in another car or in a E30)

For the MAF ill let Jeff anwsers this question.
I'ts still over my knowledge.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Hey Jake,

Yes, our software will work with the silver label 413. Is this the original DME for your car or will you need an EWS delete? We can provide this if necessary.

When tuning for an engine with a different displacement, you'll have to massage the fuel and timing tables a good bit. It would probably be best to start with the stock tune from the silver label 413 for the S50B30 (413_8715 combination). We would pull a few degrees of timing from the main spark maps just to be safe and tune from there.

Out of curiosity, why the 806 MAF and not the one from the 540i? Of course our software will allow you to tune for any MAF that outputs 0-5V, but it would be easier to start with a MAF with a known transfer function. Otherwise, it will take a little bit of time on the dyno to create a MAF transfer function from scratch.

Concerning knowledge about engine tuning, we would definitely recommend the books by Greg Banish to any beginners. His first book is probably the most suitable to BMWs since it covers MAF-based systems. His second book goes into depth about MAP-based systems, but is still an informative read.
Jakee36

Post by Jakee36 »

Wow awesome response time!!

I am aware that the major difference in the dme is the ews. I just wanted to make sure it was possible to use my stock 325i dme for the stroker so I can keep the ews. I wouldn't mind getting this software/hardware soon and using it with my running m50 to start learning.

I picked up the 806 maf because it was available and I was under the impression that it was pnp. If the 540 maf is a better choice I would get one.

I plan on running the AA track pipe and putting it on prior to the swap. Is there a Wideband setup that you would recommend?

Is Engine Management: Advanced Tuning the book by Greg Banish the one you are referring to?

Thanks in advance I am learning as I go
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Yes, we actually have the stock 413_8715 tune for the S50B30 on our site already which can be found here. However, it won't do any good to download it until you have DTS because we have a proprietary file format.

By "pnp", I'm afraid that means that the plugs might be compatible with your engine harness. No MAF is truly "plug-and-play" without modifying the transfer function inside the DME. This curve is how the DME can translate a voltage into kg/hr of airflow. Every MAF is unique in this aspect.

I don't mean to turn you away from the 806 MAF...it will just take time on the dyno to tune. If you got the 540i MAF, we already have this transfer function defined. These tunes can also be found on our forum here.

We have the (now discontinued) LC-1 from Innovate. The main reason we chose this one was because of cost and accuracy. If you read one of the posts about the installation of our wideband, you'll also find an attached article from a shootout that was done by a magazine awhile ago that picked that one as well. We've had ours installed in our shop car for awhile and couldn't be happier.

EDIT: Since the LC-1 is no longer available, we would probably recommend the LC-2 assuming products get better with each version!

When you do install it, make sure you put it relatively close to the stock location. Also, keep the stock narrowband because this is what the DME will use for closed-loop fuel trims.

Yep, that's the book! Our copy has been read cover-to-cover countless times...it has so much information in it!
Jakee36

Post by Jakee36 »

Sorry by pnp I mean the wiring wouldn't need to be modified. I have seen a few s50b30 tunes that used the 806 maf for a good price so that was the original plan.

Hopefully in by the end of the month I will have a windows laptop, the advanced tuning book read and an LC-2 installed and be ready for the whole Domino setup. :mrgreen:
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Awesome...that's good to hear! Yeah, Greg's book has a section which talks about the details of tuning for a new MAF. Just let us know when you're ready to order!